Tax Relief Programs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Elderly and Totally Disabled Tax Relief Programs

Homeowners over the age of 65 and persons of any age receiving Social Security Disability Benefits may apply to the Assessor’s Office for a reduction in taxes.  The qualifying income levels may not exceed $42,900 for a single person, or $48,900 for a married couple.  The State of Connecticut offers benefits based on income, ranging from a minimum of $150/single and $250/married to a maximum benefit of $1,000/single and $1,200/married.  The Town of Farmington matches the benefit allowed by the State. 

The Town also offers a “Freeze” program to the elderly/disabled.  The first year of application freezes the existing taxes, and every year after, the amount remains the same as the year of application.

For more information regarding the homeowner/disabled program, please contact the Assessor’s Office. 

Forms are available on the Assessor’s Web Site or in person at the Town Hall.  Please note: The application period ends May 15, 2017, at 4:30 p.m.

Blind, Disabled and Handicap-Modified Motor Vehicle Exemptions

A $3,000 exemption is available for the legally blind, provided a “Certification of Legal Blindness” document is provided to the Assessor’s Office.

An exemption of $1,000 is available for the totally disabled, with no income requirement, provided a Notice of Award for a 100% disability rating from the Social Security Administration is submitted. There is no age requirement for this exemption.

Veteran's Benefits

The State of Connecticut offers a Veterans program that allows a basic exemption of $1500 to be applied to your residence.  If you are not a homeowner, it is applied to your motor vehicle(s).  A disabled veteran would receive a greater exemption, between $2250 and $15,000, depending on the percent of disability.  There are also other state and local programs available for low-income veterans which offer greater exemptions if the income requirements are met.  Veterans qualify if they served in a time of war, and file a DD-214, Honorable Discharge in the Town Clerk’s Office.

Military exemptions are also available for those service persons in Active Duty, including the Reserves, either in- or out of state.  An application for exemption and a Military ID must be presented to receive this exemption.  The application is available in the Assessor’s web site under Forms”.

For more information regarding any of these available exemptions, please contact the Assessor’s Office.