The purpose of the Bicycle Advisory Committee is to promote BFC bicycling and bicycle safety in Town and to take actions toward improving the Town’s overall Bicycle Friendliness. The Bicycle Advisory Committee is comprised of Town Council representatives and Town residents representing the bicycle community, businesses, schools, Winding Trails and engineers.
Through the committee’s efforts, in May 2014 the Town of Farmington was awarded Bronze Status in the League of American Bicyclist’s Bicycle Friendly Community Program, and becomes one of only four communities in the State of Connecticut to receive this prestigious designation. As part of the review process the League of American Bicyclists developed a report card and feedback report that the Bicycle Advisory Committee will utilize as a blueprint to further encourage bicycling.
- Share the Road; Safety Tips for Motorists, Cyclists, & Pedestrians.
- Map of Local Bicycle Routes and Trails
- MDC Mountain Bike Trails
- Farmington Valley Trails Council
- Farmington Canal Rail to Trail Association
- East Coast Greenway Alliance
- League of American Bicyclists Materials:
- Bikes are available to borrow, courtesy of Simsbury Free Bike, at Riverfront Miniature Golf & Ice Cream located at the intersection of Route 4 at River Road. More information about Simsbury Free Bike can be found by accessing their Facebook Page.
Bikes are available to borrow, courtesy of Simsbury Free Bike, at Riverfront Miniature Golf & Ice Cream located at the intersection of Route 4 at River Road. More information about Simsbury Free Bike can be found by accessing their Facebook page by clicking here.
Bicycle Friendly Farmington
A group of dedicated town residents and volunteers have formed an organization that supports and promotes bicycling in the town of Farmington. This group actively maintains a Facebook Group.
- Bicycle Friendly Farmington’s Family Fun Ride which took place during the Unionville Festival, was a success, with over 50 riders ages 4 to 75 taking part in the 2.5 mile loop ride through Unionville and along a portion of the Farmington River Trail multi-use path. Simsbury Free Bike provided bikes and helmets to borrow.
- The East Coast Greenway Alliance along with the Town of Farmington kicked off a project to provide wayfinding signage which can be used by experienced bicyclists to help guide them along the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail, connecting Simsbury to New Haven. Click the links below to access media coverage of the event