NEWS RELEASE: 1/15/19
MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. HOLIDAY - TRASH & RECYCLING COLLECTIONS:
For Farmington residents who have trash and recycling collections by the Town's contractor (Waste Material Trucking Company), there will be normal collections during the week of January 21-25, 2019.
To ensure proper trash and recycling pickups, all are required to be at the curbside the night before your normal trash/recycling day.
TRASH & RECYCLING CART REMINDERS:
- Carts are required to be at the curbside the night before your normal collection day.
- Carts should be placed within 6 feet of curb (NOT in the roadway), 4 feet from other objects, and with the front of the carts facing the street (wheels toward your home).
- Always bag Trash to keep carts clean & allow trash to flow out freely.
- No plastic bags in Recycling carts.
- Wash/clean regularly with ammonia or disinfectant cleaner to deter animals.
- Try taping scented dryer sheets inside cart lids to deter animals.
- No bulk items, construction debris, hazardous items, or flammable materials in carts.
- No grass clippings, branches, or lawn debris in carts.
- Recycling information can be found at: www.recycleCT.com.
TUNXIS MEAD COMPOST AREA - Tunxis Mead Road, Farmington:
Winter Hours: The Tunxis Mead Compost Area is open on Wednesdays only from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (noon), weather permitting, The gate closes promptly at noon. Residents may bring leaves and brush directly to the Tunxis Mead Compost Area, which is located at the end of Tunxis Mead Road. Also residents may pick up leaf compost and wood mulch from the Compost Area. Landscapers and contractors are not allowed to pick up this material. Please call 860-675-2550, during inclement weather.
The Farmington Highway & Grounds Division of Public Works placed sandboxes at the following locations:
- East Farms Fire Station
- Farmington Fire Station
- Oakland Gardens Fire Station
- Southwest Fire Station
- Tunxis Hose Fire Station
- Highway Garage, 544 New Britain Ave, Unionville
This sand is for icy walkways and is not intended for residents driveways. To be considerate of others, please limit yourself to a 5-gallon container. Commercial users are not allowed to remove sand from these sandboxes.
REMOVAL OF BASKETBALL HOOPS, SOCCER GOALS, ETC, FROM TOWN ROADS:
Any and all sports equipment (basketball polls, hoops, soccer goals, etc.,) located on or near the road must be removed immediately. The Town of Farmington will not be responsible for any damages caused to sports equipment from snowplows.
CHRISTMAS TREE DISPOSAL:
For residents on Town trash collection service, the Christmas tree collection is scheduled to start January 7, 2019 and will continue for approximately two weeks. Please place your Christmas tree near the curb. The Highway & Grounds Division of Public Works (not the trash collection service) will pick up the trees around the same day as your trash collection. Winter weather may delay the pickup and residents should make sure their trees are not buried and are visible after a storm. All plastic bags, stands, lights, tinsel, ornaments, etc., must be removed from the trees so they can be chipped safely with no contaminants. Residents who do not have Town trash collection can bring their Christmas trees to the Tunxis Mead Compost Area on Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. noon, weather permitting.