SHADE SWAMP SANCTUARY
This 800 acre sanctuary is owned by the State of Connecticut and contains two nature trails located on the northern side of Rt. 6. The White Trail, on the west side of New Britain Avenue, is 2.5 miles of level walking with parking at the entrance to the DEP Headquarters, now decommissioned. The Blue Trail, on the east side of New Britain Avenue, is 1.5 miles of level and hilly walking paths with parking near the old pavilion. This trail contains the remains of an old roadside wildlife area that was abandoned in the early 1960’s.
This park is a historic landmark in the center of Unionville. It contains the remnants of an “electrical amusement park” that flourished from 1895 to 1905. Purchased by the Town of Farmington, it provides 20.5 acres of open space with two miles of hilly walking trails. The park contains five circular “kettles” formed during the glacial age. Best parking is at the Lion’s Park at the end of Cottage Street off Rt. 167.
OTHER LOCAL RECREATION LINKS