BULKY WASTE COLLECTION:
For residents who have trash collection by the Town's contractor, Waste Material Trucking Company, Inc., the bulky waste collection program changed as of Wednesday, August 13, 2014. After August 13, 2014, Farmington no longer uses the call-in residential bulk pickup program. Instead, the Town has established a Town-wide bulk collection service.
The next Town-wide bulk waste collection will begin on Monday, April 11, 2016 and will be picked up on your normal trash pickup day during the week of April 11th through April 15th, 2016.
During the week of April 11, 2016, all residents who have trash collection by the Town's contractor are invited to leave their bulk items curbside the night before their regular collection day. Separate bulk trucks will pick up tires; appliances and metal items. These items should be separated from regular bulk items and four feet (4') from the Town of Farmington approved Trash & Recycling carts. Small bulk items should be bundled, boxed, or bagged. Tires should be removed from their rims. The weight for all acceptable items is limited to manual lifting by two persons. Six feet (6') is the maximum length.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS - LIMITED TO 2 PER HOUSEHOLD:
- Large Furniture: i.e.: couches, overstuffed chairs, box springs and mattresses (a mattress & a box spring together are considered 1 piece of large furniture).
- Appliances: - Doors must be removed.
- Tires/Rims: - Car / bicycle tires only - Tires must be removed from rims.
- Plumbing Fixtures: - i.e.: Sinks, tubs, and toilets
OTHER ACCEPTABLE ITEMS:
- Carpet/padding: Must be rolled and taped or tied. Maximum length of roll limited to 6 feet.
- Smaller pieces of furniture.
- Misc. Household items: MAXIMUM OF 10 BAGS
- Weight for all acceptable items is limited to manual lifting by two (2) persons.
- Length for all acceptable items is limited to 6 feet.
- No Recyclable items: ie. cardboard, rigid plastic items (toys, buckets, coolers, etc)
- NO Building Materials: i.e. Lumber (Clean lumber with no nails/hardware/NOT pressure treated or painted, bring to Tunxis Mead Compost Area; Unclean lumber, call CWPM @ 860-829-0714), shingles, sheetrock, brick, stone, concrete, ceramic tile, and other construction items. For a fee residents can bring most building materials to CWPM in Berlin 829-0714.
- NO Plywood
- No Pallets: (residents may bring to the Tunxis Mead Compost Area during the hours of operation.)
- NO Stumps or lawn debris
- NO Motor Vehicle Parts or Batteries: Motor vehicle batteries and used motor oil in small quantities are the only two items that are accepted at the Highway Division of Public Works. Any other Hazardous Material left will be considered illegal dumping.
- NO Propane Tanks: They can be brought to most retailers that fill the tanks. A small fee is usually charged.
- No Paint (latex or oil-based): For more details on paint recycling, please visit www.paintcare.org or call 855-724-6809.
- NO Televisions, Computers (desktop or laptop), Monitors, Printers, Keyboards: As of 7/1/10, the State of Connecticut mandated recycling of these electronics known as "Covered Electronic Devices" or CED's. These items will not be collected and must be brought to a recycling center. Green Monster e-cycling located at 150 Brook Street, West Hartford accepts CED's as well as other electronic items for recycling. Please call 860-816-2281 or visit their website at: www.GMEcycling.com
- No Hazardous Waste products