What is animal cruelty?

Depriving an animal of food, water, shelter and/or veterinary care. Torturing, maiming or killing are also forms of animal cruelty.

What can you do to help?

If you are aware or have witnessed any form of neglect or abuse to any animal, please contact your local police or animal control department. Many people are concerned and aware of abuse yet choose not to contact authorities because they don't want to get involved or they fear any recourse from the person causing the abuse.

If you are unsure of an animals' condition please contact local authorities to report your concerns. The local police and animal control personal are trained and have the experience to properly investigate and deal with the suspects and victims if any enforcement is needed to be taken. If you feel more comfortable remaining as an anonymous complainant your concerns will be investigated.

Loud or Barking Dogs

Barking dogs bring almost daily complaints to the Farmington Police Department, particularly in warm weather when windows are open. The Farmington Police Department will investigate all barking dog complaints.

Owners of barking dogs may be in violation of the town ordinance subject to a $60.00 fine. In addition to being against the law it is extremely inconsiderate to allow your dog or dogs to bark when unnecessary. If your dog is barking investigate the cause.

Before reporting a dog that barks loudly and frequently first try to contact the dog’s owner.

For more information call (860) 675-2440 or email Animal Control Officer Brenda Bettcher.