Guide to Making Complaints & Commendations

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Farmington Police Department is committed to providing high quality police services to the community. In order to be responsive to community needs, it is necessary to have citizen input. Your constructive comments about our service, good or bad, will help us to improve and to achieve our goals.

Commending Exceptional Performance

The best way to commend the actions of a police employee is to write a brief letter or e-mail describing the incident and the actions you think were exceptional. Information such as the date, time and location will help identify the employee if you don't know his or her name. You may also speak directly with an employee's supervisor and make a verbal commendation.

Commendations are usually placed in the employee's personnel file and posted on the department bulletin board to be read by all employees. Although our employees don't expect to be thanked for everything they do, recognition of exceptional service is always appreciated. This kind of feedback helps us to know if we're doing a good job.

Making a Complaint

The Farmington Police Department maintains a uniform policy to accept, process, investigate and resolve complaints from members of the public relating to alleged misconduct or malfeasance committed by our employees. Complaints will be accepted in writing, verbally, in person, by mail, telephone (TDD), facsimile, electronically, or by any other means. Anonymous and third party complaints will be accepted. Captain Colin Ryan oversees the Internal Affairs function of the police department and can be reached Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at 675-2400. If he is not available, any on-duty supervisor will take your complaint. Annual internal affairs statistics are available here. Our Internal Affairs Policy is available here. Internal Affairs forms in English are available here. Internal Affairs forms in Spanish are available here.

It has been our experience that many complaints involve a misunderstanding of police policy or procedure and are often resolved by speaking with supervisory personnel. While we encourage you to consider this avenue, we understand that some complaints do require a full inquiry. During this process you will be kept informed of the progress of the inquiry and may be asked for additional information. You will also be advised when the investigation is completed.