The mission of the Farmington Police Department is to enforce the law and promote a feeling of safety and security for all members of the community. The Farmington Police Department will work in cooperation with the community to preserve and improve the quality of life, making the Town of Farmington a safer, more pleasant place to live, work and visit.
- RESPECT for all persons both in and outside of the organization. We will inspire respect and confidence in the public trust by performing all duties impartially and respecting the dignity of all citizens and fellow employees.
- STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE in all our activities. We value professionalism and a team effort to provide effective public safety services. We will strive for courage and conviction to see the mission through.
- Provide a high level of CUSTOMER SERVICE at all times. We will work cooperatively with other town, state and federal agencies to provide the highest level of service to our residents, businesses and visitors.
- We will seek the highest levels of ETHICAL and MORAL conduct in our on-duty and off-duty activities.
National Accreditation was originally formed in 1979 by CALEA (Commission of Law Enforcement Agencies) to establish professional law enforcement standards. It is a voluntary program, which is overseen by CALEA and the four agencies that originally formed CALEA. If you are interested in more information about CALEA please visit their website at www.calea.org.
The Farmington Police Department was originally accredited in 1992. Since that time we have successfully attained reaccreditation every three years, most recently in 2015. We are due to be reassessed again in the Spring of 2018. Successful reaccreditation requires that the agency be in compliance with hundreds of nationally recognized, professional, law-enforcement standards. Compliance is determined by an independent review of Department operations by CALEA assessors who present their findings to a CALEA commission. Members of the commission make the final determination.
In 2009 the Department was designated a "Flagship Agency". This prestigious designation is given to those agencies that have demonstrated success and achievement in the Accreditation process.
In 2012 and again in 2015 the Department was given an "Award with Excellence". This designation is given to agencies that have demonstrated success in the Accreditation process and have the best practices related to addressing compliance, policy development and file maintenance.
The Department also received a "Meritorious Service Award" for being Accredited for over fifteen years.
The Department has also been accredited through the State of Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council since 2009. We received state reaccreditation in 2015.
Benefits of Accreditation
There are several benefits of accreditation, which are outlined below:
- Controlling liability insurance costs
- Preparing stronger defenses against lawsuits and citizen complaints
- Providing an increase in community advocacy
- Increasing Town government awareness as to how the police department is being managed
- Symbolizes professionalism, excellence and competence within an agency
Accreditation ensures policies and procedures are in place to guide employees and protect citizens. It also ensures a complete audit of the department every three years.