Dog Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


 If your dog is over six months of age, State of Connecticut law requires that you license your dog. Dog licenses are issued throughout the year; however, renewal of current licenses takes place during the month of June.

A current rabies certificate is required to license your dog. To receive a reduced licensing fee, proof of spaying or neutering is required. If your dog was licensed in Farmington last year, you will receive a renewal email notice the first week in June. The expiration date of the rabies certificate currently on file with the Town Clerk's office and neutering or spaying status will be on the renewal email notice.

If the date of the rabies certificate on the renewal email notice has passed, an updated certificate will need to be presented before a license can be issued. Renewals can be done by mail or in person at the Town Clerk's Office. If renewing by mail, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope, any required certificates and payment by personal checks, bank checks or money orders. The current licensing fees are as follows:

If you need an application for a dog license click here.

 Dog licensing fees
 Spayed Female or Neutered Male
 Female or Male
 Kennel License
 Transfer from Another Connecticut Town
 Replacement for Lost Tag
 Per Month Penalty for Late Registration

We accept ALL forms of payment in office. Charge Cards only accepted in office. (Additional fees apply.)

Checks or Money Orders can be made payable to the Town of Farmington.


Town of Farmington Code for Dogs

78-2. Prohibited Acts
It shall be a violation of this Article for any owner or keeper of a dog:

A. To allow such dog to roam at large upon the land of another and not under control of the owner or keeper or the agent of the owner or keeper, or to allow such dog to roam at large on any portion of any public highway and not attended by and under control of such owner or keeper or his agent; the unauthorized presence of any dog on the land of any person other than the owner or keeper of such dog or on any portion of a public highway, when such dog is not attended by and under the control of such owner or keeper, shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of the provisions of this Article.
B. To obstruct or attempt to obstruct the canine control officer or warden engaged in the discharge of such person's duties.
C. To perpetrate any act of cruelty upon any dog or any other animal.
D. Not to have a tag or plate on a collar around the neck or on a harness on the body of such dog.
E. Not to have complied with any order or regulation relating to rabies applicable to such dog.
F. To abandon or neglect or cruelly treat any such dog.
G. Not to have such dog licensed in the Town Clerk's office as required by state law.
H. To allow such dog to inflict damage or harm to human beings, domestic animals or property.
I. To allow such dog to go on a highway and growl, snap, bite or otherwise annoy any person or domestic animal lawfully using such highway or chase or interfere with any motor vehicle so using such highway.
J. To permit such dog to become a nuisance by reason of vicious disposition or excessive barking or any other disturbance or by permitting such barking or other disturbance when such is a source of annoyance to any sick person residing in the immediate vicinity.
K. To crop or cut or cause to be cropped or cut off the whole or any part of the ear of a dog unless such person is a registered veterinarian surgeon.
L. Not to clean up or dispose of immediately any feces or other waste matter discharged by a dog on public property, including highways and sidewalks, or on any private property not owned or controlled by the owner agent or keeper of the dog.


78-3. Violations and Penalties Any person violating any of the above provisions shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). The town canine control officer or warden shall issue citations for violations of any provisions set forth above. All moneys received shall be remitted to the Office of the Tax Collector.