The Soldier’s Monument - Unionville
2 School Street
Intersections of Main Street (Rte 4) & Lovely Street (Rte 177)
The Soldier’s Monument has a special significance because it was primarily the philanthropy of a single individual, Captain Nathaniel C. Hayden (1836-1916). Hayden volunteered for service in the Civil War in 1862, becoming a captain in Company G, 16th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers. He was wounded at Antietam and invalided home. For 15 years he conducted a coal, feed, and general trucking business in Unionville until his retirement. The monument depicts a soldier in the Union Army and is located near the First Church of Christ Congregational.